The end of the static web

The turn of the millenium coincided with the advent of content management systems, on a large scale.  It felt like a digital gold rush, there was a plethora of them, the market has now consolidated but its impact on web analytics has remained.  Data-driven web sites rely on templates and that meant that static code could not be used anymore.  Even using the tracking code on top pages would not help, URL ended-up with a series of tokens and unique identifiers in place of clear page names entered by the developers. Often these developers were running Analytics, it was my case and then I thought, it did not made any sense.  Some advanced CMS had reporting tools built-in but for most of them it was not a critical activity.  I then left the business of working with content management systems anyway so would have lost track.  I carried on using hosted services on my static websites for a while but then I stopped building these altogether.  Web analytics in its static form ended-up there for me.