First encounter with a Web Analytics major

First time I heard about WebTrends was through my IT department back in 2000, they were introducing what I believe was called WebTrends Firewall Suite.  This suite had nothing to do with Web Analytics which has become their core business.  It was all about monitoring and reporting on firewall activity basically making sure staff were not downloading too many MP3s - I was working at a radio station then so they were not that strict about it.

This Web Analytics major as I call it have swapped network dials and bandwidth reports with business dashboards and actionable insights.  It was a smart move, helping out businesses which understand the importance of Analytics took them beyond IT maintenance.  Just look at those employee reports of 2000, users were seen as abusers, not consumers - and rightly so, these were the days on internet dial-up!